Thursday, August 25, 2016

Storybook Favorites

This storybook is about the reactions of some fairy tale princesses if they were suddenly dropped into our modern world on a reality TV show.  I was really impressed with the amount of effort that was put into thinking and explaining why each princess would react the way she did.  Not only did the author, Kendra Norman, write engaging and funny stories, but also she had very realistic justifications for their actions and why she thought, for example, Snow White would still have an extreme aversion to apples or Little Red Cap would come up with the most daring escape plan.  The website's layout was also very easily navigable and enjoyable, especially the modernized princess pictures.
Another storybook that I really enjoyed was this retelling of Sita's tale from the Ramayana from the point of view of her sons after her death.  The decision to give the two boys very distinct writing styles and personalities was very interesting and enjoyable for me because it more accurately reflected real life.  I also really appreciated how the author was able to explore their forgiveness and understanding of their parents' relationship throughout their readings of her journal articles.  Besides allowing us to understand their perspective, however, I also felt that Sita's point of view was handled quite well and let me know what she might have been feeling.  One thing that I felt detracted from the otherwise amazing storytelling and nicely set-up website, however, was the inconsistent font size and color.  I'm not sure if it was meant to emphasize certain parts, but it felt a little arbitrary.
As a fan of Grimm's fairy tales, I really enjoyed all of the throwbacks and references in this storybook to classic fairy tales.  The upbeat attitude of the brothers combined with the somber tones was also very nice, although I would have like to see more characterization of the Grimm brothers.  My favorite part of this storybook was the way classic tales were woven into a new story and reinvented.  None of the stories felt like simple retellings of the same idea.  I also liked the picture integration:  all of them felt very relevant and nicely incorporated into the layout of the website.

Image Information:  Cinderella eating.  Web Source.
Sita.  Web Source.
Wolf moon.  Web Source.

No comments:

Post a Comment