Thursday, September 8, 2016

Story: The End

Dr. Manhattan to Ozymandias from Watchmen by Alan Moore.  Web Source.

They think it’s out of grief that I’ve been here for two days.
They think that I can’t stand for someone to take the body from me, that I don’t want anyone to see him like this, hanging like an ornament by his own cape, decked out in costume like he hadn’t been for years.
They’re right but for the wrong reasons.
I sighed and looked him right in his glass eyes.  “You always said you’d die with a smile on your face.”
Only my brother would go to his death grinning like an idiot.

 “Oh, Rama, please save me!” the girl cried as Ravana, the villain we’d been chasing for months, cackled and dashed  up the building with her in his arms.
Glancing at my brother, I nodded once and he immediately sprang up the building.
I cracked my knuckles and smiled at the henchmen surrounding me. 
POW!
In a few short seconds, most of them were unconscious or begging for mercy.  My work here done, I scanned the top of the tower for my brother, only to spot Ravana waving a red detonator and laughing as my brother climbed furiously up the building.
“You’ll never catch me alive!” he screamed, pressing the detonator as my brother made a last leap towards him.
“NO!” I yelled, racing towards the building.
But I was too late, and the tower exploded outwards, throwing me into a telephone pole.
When I opened my eyes, everything was blanketed in concrete dust and glass shards.
“Rama?  Where are you?” I called, knowing he couldn’t possibly have died.
I fumbled my way towards the center of the explosion, and suddenly I saw them, two figures intertwined together, my brother and the mayor’s daughter kissing like they had been searching for each other for years.

That picture haunted  the city hall for years afterward.  The mayor immediately gave his permission for his daughter, Sita, to marry Rama.
They were perfectly beautiful together.  Everybody was in favor of the marriage except for me.
“You hardly even know her!” I argued, even on the day of his wedding.  “You rescued her once, and now you’re going to marry her?”
“It’s true love,” Rama sighed, fixing his hair.  “You wouldn’t understand, Lakshmana.  I feel like I’ve known her for ages.  She and I have never run out of things to talk about.”
“That’s because you’ve had a total of two conversations,” I muttered, but he was dreaming again, smiling about Sita’s dark hair and brown eyes.

♦        ♦        ♦

I can still see her, shining in her dress, blushing prettily when I kissed her.
The wedding was the most perfect moment of my life, when I was drunk off her instead of bad tequila, and the years that followed were bliss, when I could hold my sons’ hands instead of cans of beer.
If I could do it all again, would I still marry her?  Sometimes in my desperation, stumbling home at 5 AM, so drunk I walk down the wrong street, I wonder if I would have been better off.

“You need to stop doing this,” she whispered furiously with red-rimmed eyes as I fell through the door.
“But the kids love it when I break down the door,” I slurred, using the counter to steady myself.
“This isn’t a joke!” she hissed.  “I can’t believe you have the nerve to go drink again right after you promised me you would stop.  I’m sick of this kind of behavior, Rama.  Rama!
I hauled myself to the couch and threw myself down.  “I’m listening.  You know I can take care of myself.  If you want someone who just does whatever you ask, why don’t you just go back to him, anyway.”
“This isn’t about him!  This is about you!  Your behavior doesn’t just affect you; it affects me and your sons as well.  Think about what people say when they see you drunk in the bar every night!”
“Think about what they said when they saw you having dinner with that creep.”
“It was a mistake and it was a long time ago, Rama.  Why can’t you just forget about it?!”
It was the same argument every night.  I would say, “Because I love you,” and she would say “I know you do,” through her tears and we would go to bed and make up and everything would be okay but nothing was ever okay.
I didn’t want to pretend anymore.
“Because I can’t!” I screamed.  “I can’t forget any of it!  Why do you want to forget?  Why can’t we remember?”
“Because it’s over!  It’s in the past and you can’t change it!”
“Then get out!  If you want to forget so bad, then just leave.”
“Rama, you can’t mean—“
“I said, GET OUT!”

She did it.  She left and she took my boys and now only I remained in this cavernous house.  I wandered through it until I found myself where I always ended up, sitting in my closet looking at my superhero costume.
When I closed my eyes, I could still see it all:  flying through the clouds with Lakshmana, blood spraying from a henchman’s face, faces contorted as the building tumbled down.
If I slipped far enough into my memories, I could feel her lips on mine, soft even through the dust, could still grip her hands, soft even with the blood and grime.
The suit was rough when I pulled it on and tight in places I didn’t remember, but it still fit well enough.
Smiling, I felt the breeze on my face one last time and jumped towards a twinkling river in the sky with a green bank and a man I didn’t recognize but knew.


Author's Note:  As you can probably tell, the story is very loosely based on the last half of the Ramayana when Rama saves Sita from Ravana and later exiles her.  His actions puzzled and angered me so I tried to explain them in this story.  The superhero aspect was inspired by the comic I drew the picture from, Watchmen by Alan Moore.  I recently watched the movie and loved it, so I just had to incorporate superheroes somewhere in the story.  I tried to allude to elements of the Ramayana like them searching for each other for years and Rama's ascendance to heaven although I didn't put a lot of references in.

Bibliography:  Public Domain Ramayana.  Web Source.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Joanne! I really loved your take on this part of the story! I completely agree with you. The entire situation towards the end with Rama and Sita angered me as well. I didn't find it fair at all. I feel that it should have been very different, but that is just my opinion. I couldn't stop reading once I started! I am a huge superhero fan as well, and I loved the way you put a slight twist on it with Rama being drunk. I feel it gave us a bit more insight into what he was feeling. I especially like how you had the mayor give Sita's hand in marriage! It was a typical superhero plot point. I do wish we would have gotten to see what kind of powers Rama had, but I do realize that they were not important in this particular aspect. I can't help but wonder though, so I have to ask what do you think his powers would be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, Rama's actions at the end make me so angry! So glad you agree with me, haha. Have you read or watched Watchmen at all? If you haven't, you absolutely should because it's a really different take on superheroes (the original gritty superhero movie, haha). Since I based my story off that a little, I left the powers unspecified as they do in Watchmen. But I would think he definitely has super strength and maybe even flight.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this version of the story! I love superhero movies and I think the way that you rewrote the last section of the Ramayana worked really well. The whole thing with Rama exiling Sita angered me as well, but I like the way that you redid it. Making Rama a drunk and having him kick Sita out of the house was more satisfying than the original, in my opinion. I look forward to reading more of your stories this semester!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm really glad you enjoyed my version of the end although it's funny that you thought him kicking Sita out was more satisfying because I personally thought it was more sad. It does make more sense in my opinion though, haha.

      Delete
  3. This was such a fun read! I'm not going to lie, it was really disorienting for me to even think of the characters this way since many of them are deeply religious figures, but removed from that, I absolutely loved the way you incorporated Watchmen. It was so funny when Lakshman mentioned them only having had two conversations, because although the Ram/Sita love story is initially explained as a divine attraction due to the fact that they're reincarnations of Vishnu and Lakshmi, it's definitely so weird that it would happen so quickly.

    I wonder what led to Rama's fall from grace, though. What led him to drinking in the first place? Was it the fluctuating attitudes to vigilante justice, or perhaps just bitterness at not being able to relive the glory days? I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of your writing, and maybe you could pick up a Watchmen-esque version of the Ramayana as your storybook theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I was afraid that you would think the characters were too different from the original! For me, when I was reading the Ramayana, it almost seemed too easy to try and change the characterization of everybody mostly because it seems hard to pinpoint specific personality traits for each of them as at least the version I read seemed very bare bones. I would definitely love to read more things that could give me more of an idea of how they are seen typically, however.
      I'm really glad you liked the superhero aspect though! In my opinion, Rama's alcoholism was a combination of lasting trauma from all of his past fights and having to settle down and try and be normal. I am definitely thinking of revisiting this universe in a storybook though, so hopefully you'll be able to read more about his backstory!

      Delete
  4. You are such a talented writer! The entire time I was thinking... wow, how can I live up to this style and creativity. Truth is, I don't know that I can. I love the way you were able to tie the two stories together and make them into one! That can be very difficult to do but you took just the right amount from each story to make it a perfect balance!
    I am not familiar with the Watchman comic! I don't ever read comics so that part of the story I wasn't able to fully connect with. But you still made it very clear even for people who were not familiar with it! You definitely didn't need to have read the comic before which was helpful!
    What if Rama had ended up going to rehab? Maybe cured his alcoholism and gotten Sita and his boys back? Of course leaving it to where he loses it all because of alcohol may be a more interesting ending but seeing their marriage salvaged would also be a great alternate ending to this story!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much! This story was the product of much editing and tears, haha, so I'm so glad you enjoyed it! You should definitely check out the comic book or movie sometime if you liked this story! I hope that if Rama had been able to get help, their marriage would have been salvaged but I tried to keep it in the spirit of the original where they remain separated for most of their lives.

      Delete
  5. This is a great piece. I really enjoyed reading this because of the differentiation of the actual stories. When reading these stories, my favorites tend to be the ones that include characters from the Ramanaya, but apply them to situations that are somewhat far from those that happen in the story. I also enjoy characters being completely changed from their portrayal in the Ramayana. I loved getting to read the arugment between Rama and Sita because it reminds me so much of something that would occur in reality. In reading the Ramayana, it's difficult to relate to most things because it is so out of the ordinary. In your version, I was able to imagine the characters in a real life scenario which was really interesting to experience. I wonder what would have happened if Rama would have decided to deal with the burden of Sita, it might have lead to a deadlier fate. Rama's words might have been the safest scenario given what had happened to him and Sita. Great work on your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really glad you like the changes I made to the story; I was afraid it would be too different. I really tried to make the story as realistic as possible, so I'm happy you think that's the case. Yes, I tried to make it seem as if it was inevitable for them to break apart, but it's always nice to think of what could have been.

      Delete
  6. Ohhh Dr. Manhattan. Shiny. Fun fact he's the 'big bad' in the DC Comics Universe right now. Ampersand Nerd. Another fun fact is that Alan Moore pretty much every movie adaptation of his works. Anyway, I liked the story. In my head it's based in the 'The Incredibles,' universe. Man, I love that movie. So, obviousyly I'm a fan of the super-hero theme you went with! I also liked the contemporary setting. I've a few stories from different people in the class that make Rama a drunk. I think it's really interesting that so many people have found their way to it. I wonder what that says about the original story?

    ReplyDelete