Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Week 8 Growth Mindset

If this post feels a bit gloomy to you, it may be because I just got a pretty bad grade in one of my classes.  I'm working on bringing it up and talking to the TA and teacher more, but it is still rather disheartening.  I'd hoped that this semester would be slightly easier than my last one, but I am feeling even more stressed and frustrated than last year.  I may have overreached myself, but I don't want to back down from any of my commitments either.  So, even before this post, I've been worrying a lot about where I'm at in terms of time management and classes and how I can handle everything I signed up for.
Thinking through all of the continuums, I am worried that I am faltering in a few of them, especially the ones about time management and attitude.  I want to choose what's hard and challenge myself and try new things and work on improving myself, but it's just so difficult.  That's pretty much a horrible and defeatist thing to say, but I'm so tired and exhausted all the time that I don't really want to.  More and more I just want to slide into the easier path and put off my homework and do fun and relaxing things.  I know that's going to make things worse on myself in the future, but I just want to do something that will make me less stressed out.
I'm not going to give up though.  Things will get better, and starting this week I'm trying to implement more effective time management strategies and get things done earlier.  I'm trying to segregate myself from my friends when doing intensive homework and making sure to get enough sleep so I don't fall asleep in class.  This class is definitely helping me with time management strategies because I can always plan for this class so I'm trying to implement plans for all of my other classes too.  I hope by the end of the semester I can look back and be proud of myself for accomplishing everything and improving myself.
I'm trying at least.  Web Source.

8 comments:

  1. I've been feeling gloomy about this semester, too. Maybe their is just something about this time of the year, a lot of people are feeling down. I completely understand what you mean about being so stressed and exhausted that you can't do the task in front of you, so you just become more stressed and exhausted. It's a vicious cycle and I'm working on getting out of it. Luckily, in this course we can get ahead and there is a lot of extra credit available. This course has made the semester less stressful for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to doing the assignments for this course every single week! It's definitely my biggest destressor. Hopefully everything will go better for you!

      Delete
  2. I’m sorry about your bad grade! Just remember that a lot of us are feeling that way at this point in the semester. I know that doesn’t help your situation, but remember that you are only human and we all feel this way sometimes.
    I have a similar problem with pushing myself toward perfection. The real problem is that perfection is unobtainable and you’re always going to feel like you’re letting yourself down.
    I hope the growth mindset at least kind of helped you through this. For me, it was refreshing to look back on. Just try to remember your motivations for being in school. Why are you here? What are you hoping to do? Looking long term can sometimes help you through these minor bumps in the road and push you toward the growth mindset. You will get through it and it will be Christmas break before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much! Things are definitely looking up now and I'm getting on top of things now! I definitely have problems with trying to obtain perfection, and I need to step back sometimes and remember that I won't be able to get there. Thanks for your words of support too! Good luck on your classes as well!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah this semester has felt really down here for me too. It may just be something in the air. This time of the year is never easy but thankfully the semester is finally winding down and Christmas break will be here in no time. I know I can't wait for it. I hope things end up turning out very well for you this semester!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm hoping it's just pre-finals week and midterm blues. More looking forward to Thanksgiving break haha, but thank god Christmas break is almost here too! Good luck on your semester as well! Thanks for your support!

      Delete
  5. I also received some grades that I weren’t proud of last semester and even this semester. I tend to underestimate the difficulty of the class which results in me not trying as hard and it really comes back to bite me in the butt in the end when I’m trying to bring my grade up. I hope that your path to improving yourself works out as I will too work on improving myself.

    ReplyDelete