Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Reading Notes: Divine Beings Part B


  • I wonder why the asuras weren't allowed to get to heaven by building the altar?  It shows their dedication at least although I guess it's cheating a little bit.
  • Why were the rest turned into spiders while only the top got to be dogs and guard the gates of Yama?  Why them?  Also why spiders?
  • That sage seems like a jerk.  It's not the elephant's fault that it fell on you!
  • Airavata is cool though.  He is so loyal!  I'm glad he got his wish at the end and didn't have to suffer.  Shiva seems like a nice god, always helping out his loyal followers.
  • Apparently there are two versions of the Gandaberunda and Sharabha story?  One has Gandaberunda as the one who loses sight of his purpose and begins rampaging, while the other story has Sharabha as the attacker.  I think it's really interesting that there can be two versions of the same story with the protagonists switched!  I really wonder how that came to be.
  • Also it seems a little weird that Vishnu's avatar could just randomly change into a two-headed bird, but I guess it was because he was a god?
  • I liked the descriptions at the end of some important deities' vehicles!  I liked the illustrations showing the gods on their vahanas as well.
  • Speaking of the illustrations, they were all fantastic and I always love looking at the depictions of the beasts.
Airavata.  Web Source.
Bibliography:  Divine Beings.  Reading Guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment