Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Reading Notes: Epified Mahabharata Part D


  • I wonder how Draupadi feels about this whole thing.  She doesn't even get to really decide who she marries; this contest will.
  • Well she does get a bit of choice, I suppose, haha.  Poor Karna again!  I honestly can't blame him for being so close to the Kauravas especially when everyone else treats him like this.  And just because of his class too!  She didn't even let him try!  No wonder he resents and wants to humiliate her later.
  • I wonder how she feels about this too!  Now she has 5 possibly unwanted husbands.  She doesn't seem too troubled by this later but who knows.  I'm kind of sad they didn't talk about Narayan's version of why she has 5 husbands in the videos.  In his version he says that she is the reincarnation of a devoted wife to an ugly sage, who near the end of his life rewarded her by taking on the form of 5 men.  When he died, she wished to have 5 husbands again, and now this is her fate.  I like that version better!
  • I wish they had just been able to avoid the war by living in peace in Indraprastha.  I can understand Duryodhana being jealous of their city, but still, leave them be!
  • Poor Arjuna!  I understand why their arrangement was necessary but it still seems like such an honest mistake and justifiable in terms of the circumstances.  But I guess that's what makes him so "good" since he followed the oath anyway.
  • I wonder what happens while Arjuna is in exile.  It seems like not much.
  • Now I'm wondering how old everyone is.  They never really mention ages but it seems like they can just have 7 year exiles without significant changes or getting older.  They even have the 14 year exile later and they still seem in the prime of their life!
Indraprastha.  Web Source.
Bibliography:  Epified Mahabharata.  Reading Guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment