Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Reading Notes: The Palace of Illusions Part B


  • :( I was waiting for the author's interpretation of Draupadi's swayamvar where she insults Karna and becomes married to Arjun but I did not expect this twist!  It seemed like it was setting up for her to be in love with Arjun but instead she fell in love with Karna!  She only said those words because Karna was going to kill her brother and she did not know what else to do.  Now I'm sad because it would have been so much better if she had married Karna!  Or maybe not, I suppose the rest of the Mahabharata would still have happened but maybe it would have been better?  Now I'm curious what would have changed, haha.
  • She had a chapter earlier with Vyasa who cautioned her to hold back her question among other prophetic things before her wedding, and now we know why!  If only she'd been able to calm him without having to resort to insulting him.  Now the later part where he tries to humiliate her is even worse.  Not looking forward to that part.
  • Draupadi does not really seem to like the idea of marriage so I'm really wondering how she's going to deal with having 5 husbands.  Especially because the story seems to be setting up a lot of tension between her and Arjun (foreshadowing his infidelity and not having her be overly attracted to him).
  • There's also some set up with tension with Kunti as well and now I'm worried :(.  So much set up in this section!  Excited to have more action next.
Karna.  Web Source.
Bibliography:  The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni.  Reading Guide.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great book, and it should keep your interest as you move through more of it! I really want to read this book, so your notes were really interesting to see here. Well chosen picture, by the way! I love it!
    Also, I checked out your Reading Notes Part A on this book as well... If you're still interested, you might ask behind the circulation desk for the graphic novel you were looking for. I spent way too much time trying to hunt down Amar Chitra Katha books and graphic novels before finally asking, only to discover they're kept behind the circulation desk, not in the stacks! (even though it SAID stacks on Bizzel's website). Just thought I'd let you know, in case you're still interested in it!

    ReplyDelete