Monday, November 14, 2016

Reading Notes: The Palace of Illusions Part C


  • Finally we're getting more into the exciting part of the Mahabharata!  I can't wait to see how Draupadi will deal with married life and also the bet.
  • She still constantly thinks about what might have been with Karna and that's probably not good for her marriage.
  • I really like how they did the slow reveal of Arjuna being her husband.  If you're familiar with the story, you know what's going to happen but if you're not, you could still pretty much figure out who the mystery brahmin was.
  • The cute touching moment between Arjuna and Draupadi where he helps her out is great.  I wish they had just been able to be happy together maybe that would have worked out better.  Then again, even without that Arjuna seems pretty selfish and unthinking just making her walk like that.
  • I don't know if this is the author's actual attitude but I really hate how she always has Draupadi thinking that she needs to do things a woman's way otherwise she won't be able to accomplish anything which seems like a strange way to think.  Maybe Draupadi wouldn't have made Arjuna like her more if she'd have said hey I need to rest, but he would have learned that she demands respect and doesn't just submit meekly.
  • I wish Kunti had liked Draupadi more.  I think that would have been nice if they had learned to work together but I suppose it seems very "realistic" to have the hated mother-in-law figure.
  • Yudhishthira always seemed overly perfect to me too so I'm glad even Draupadi comments on how perfect and calm and unshakable he is.  Too eerie in my opinion.
  • The representation of Bheeshma is pretty great.  He definitely seems like the cunning grandfather type because he knows how to sway people but does love his grandsons a lot.
  • I'm definitely getting the Game of Thrones vibe from this telling of the Mahabharata!  Draupadi is going to have to get better at scheming and hiding her feelings.
Iron Throne.  Web Source.
Bibliography:  The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni.  Reading Guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment