Thursday, November 3, 2016

Storytelling: Dharma

“It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else’s life with perfection.”
Ekalavya looked at him curiously and smiled.  Arjuna smiled back cautiously.  He wasn’t sure what to make of this forest boy with the uncanny talent for archery.  He could sense Drona’s displeasure, however, and knew to stay back.
“I want you to cut your thumb off,” Drona said dismissively.
Arjuna stared in shock as Ekalavya merely smiled and obeyed immediately.
“Thank you, sage,” the boy murmured as his blood dripped on the ground.  Arjuna couldn’t stop watching the casual fall of the blood droplets from the stump on his hand.
He thought he would be sick, but he couldn’t do that in front of Drona, so he made himself numb.  As they walked by Ekalavya to go home, Arjuna could not stop himself from glancing back at the boy that they had taken everything from.
“Don’t worry,” Ekalavya whispered, startling Arjuna.  “I reached too high.  I’m not meant to be a warrior, but you are.  Do what I cannot.”
And Arjuna could do nothing but nod.
“No one should abandon duties because he sees defects in them.”
“Please Arjuna, see reason!” Yudhishthira begged.  “There is no need for you to go into exile!  You had a justifiable reason to interrupt us!  I won’t force you to go!”
“No, Yudhishthira,” Arjuna sighed.  “I knew what I was doing when I came upon you and Draupadi.  I knew what it meant, but I had no choice.  And there is still no choice now.”
“But there is!  None of us will force you into exile!  Draupadi understands the circumstances!  Everyone understands the circumstances!”
Arjuna looked him in the eyes.  “And what does that say about me if I will forget my oaths because others understand why I could?  Oaths are oaths, Yudhishthira, you know this best.  They are my duty, no matter how I or you feel.  I knew the consequences, and I will pay the price.”
“But—“
Sighing, Arjuna placed a hand on his brother’s shoulder.  “I know there is no reason for me to go.  But that is why I must go.”
“Then go,” Yudhishthira whispered, and Arjuna forced himself to walk out without looking back.
“Performing the duty prescribed by (one’s own) nature, one incurreth no sin.”
Arjuna had wondered from a young age what made a good person.  It seemed everyone had a different answer:  Yudhishthira always told the truth and adhered strictly to all rules and promises; Bhima was courageous and never shied from a fight to protect the innocent; and Drona obeyed his duties every day.
But what would they do now?
No, he knew better than to ask.  He knew what they would do, what they would say.
He surveyed the battlefield bleakly, watching as cousin after cousin of his poured through the frontlines.  He could remember playing at war with Duryodhana, laughing as they teamed up against Bhima, and chasing each other through the gardens.  Duryodhana wasn’t playing at battles now, though, and Arjuna knew that he would have to kill many of the same people he had pretended to kill as a child.
In his heart, he despaired and mourned every one of his cousins and family members on the other side.

Closing his eyes, he said a final farewell and loosed a volley of arrows.
Arjuna and Krishna.  Web Source.
Author's Note:  This is the story from the story planning post last week!  Thanks to Ankitha's suggestions, I was able to come up with a decent idea and explored what Arjuna thinks of dharma.  I chose to add some different sections of his life, notably his meeting with Ekalavya, his exile after seeing Yudhishthira and Draupadi, and the battle with the Kauravas where the Bhagavad Gita takes place.  I tried to examine how he would feel about each of the different aspects of dharma and used quotes from the Bhagavad Gita to emphasize what Krishna would say about each of the incidents.
Bibliography:  Goodreads Quotes.  Web Source.
50 Most Inspiring Quotes from the Bhagavad Gita.  Web Source.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, this is a really interesting concept for story writing! I had no idea the quotes were from the Bhagvad Gita until I got to your Author's Note, but I understood that we were jumping around in Arjuna's life to relect the quotes you were making. This took a lot of mental effort on my part to remember each story you were referencing in Arjuna's life as we jumped around, but I found it very satisfying at the end of your story. What a great way to tie up a lot of the things we've explored and learned about throughout this semester! It really solidifies it into memory and I loved the melding together of the Bhagvad Gita with Arjuna's life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! After reading the Bhagavad Gita, I just had to write something about it because it explored so many interesting aspects of dharma! I'm glad you liked the story at the end, and I apologize if it was a bit confusing at first with the jumping around. I should have explained the stories a bit more in the author's note.

      Delete
  2. This is a really interesting idea for a story. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I think the idea of using the quotes was extremely interesting and it really adds some serious flair to the piece that sits just beneath the surface. You do have quite a few references in the piece which can make it hard to get into for an outsider but I think it still works pretty well. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will go back and add more stuff to the author's note since that seems to be a problem for others as well! I'm glad you liked the quotes too though!

      Delete
  3. I really liked the concept you chose for your story. I could never have thought of it myself but ti definitely gives me something to think about so thank you. You have parts of the original stuff in there which makes it more than just a story. I have read your other stories too and really liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you decided to tell your story. I really like how you delivered it too. I think using the quotes and basing your story off of that is really interesting. I haven't seen anyone else do that. Arjun is one of my favorite characters we got to read about because it seemed like he had an adventure everywhere he went, whether he was with his brothers or not. You did a really great job with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy reading your stories. They are a lot different than the other stories I usually read. I enjoyed how this story traveled through the different noteworthy elements of Arjun's life. I like that you elaborate on the epics with conversational elements. It makes the stories flow really well and we get to see more of each characters personality.

    ReplyDelete