Thursday, August 25, 2016

Growth Mindset

I have never heard of Carol Dweck's growth mindset philosophy before, but I have heard of variations of it, most recently in Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers.  I find these points of view very interesting because I have always viewed myself as someone firmly on the growth mindset but I am not sure where I got that tendency from.  Throughout my school career, I was always told how smart and intelligent I was, but that never stopped me from wanting to learn or pushed me to shy away from challenges.  In fact, I enjoyed challenges the most because the rest of the time school was very easy.  Carol Dweck's points about parents' praise interested me as well because my family has also constantly praised me for my intelligence rather than my efforts or processes, so I am not sure why I have not had more of a fixed mindset.  I do have that attitude towards other things I am not good at, however, like art and sports, but I am trying to put more effort into those and eventually succeed.
This last semester did test my philosophy, however, as I did not do as well in most of my classes.  I took a programming class for fun and because I had been very interested in and done well in the earlier intro class, but this class was much more difficult.  Ultimately, I am not proud of how much I wanted to quit simply because it was harder than things I was used to, but I stuck it through for the entire semester and learned a lot about coding at the end.  I am glad for the experience, but it's not something I want to repeat again, and I'm not sure if that speaks to a bad part of my character or not.
This semester should be better for me though, and as I have just switched majors I am very excited for my new major classes.  I hope I will enjoy this major much more than my last one.  Anyway, things have changed now and will continue to change and I hope I will be able to handle them.

 Image Information:  Winds of change.  Web Source.

4 comments:

  1. I think that wanting to quit that more difficult class is super understandable. Coding is something I couldn't even begin to imagine being successful in! The Arts is probably my strongest area, and I run into so many challenges! Even the play I was just in... I wanted to close that show the minute it opened. I was having such a hard time with the character and my director had so much to worry about that he didn't spend the time to direct me... it was a definite challenge. I had to shift my mindset into "this is a learning experience!" rather than, "this sucks, can't wait till it's over". I could have been in another show which probably would have been much more artistically inspiring for me, but instead of brooding over that (okay, *after* brooding over that) I decided to be glad for my experience, no matter how hard it was at times. There's been some combat classes I've taken that I've thought, "That was a great experience, glad I know this now! ... but I won't be moving onto level 2."

    So, no, I don't think that speaks poorly to your character! I think that if you needed to learn more about coding, or whatever it may be, you'd do what you'd have to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you for the encouragement! I really hope I'll be able to when the time comes. What play were you in? Are you in some of the shows put on by OU? Coding is definitely difficult, but I personally thinks it takes way more to act and perform especially in front of so many people! I'm glad you were still able to get something out of your experience in the end though. I think that speaks a lot to how you are able to handle things! Good luck with your future plays!

      Delete
  2. I had not heard of Growth Mindset until this class either. As this class progresses however, I am trying to apply this school of thought to all of my other classes. I am hoping that in this way it will allow for me to become a better student. I find some of my classes to be incredibly challenging and thinking of them in this manner allows for me to be less stressed and less anxious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I completely agree! Sometimes I wonder why I even took them!

      Delete