Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Reading Notes: PDE Ramayana Part B


  • I am very happy that Bharata was forgiven by Rama and that he was so dutiful and tried to follow him into exile.  I'm glad he didn't end up wanting to be king and trying to overthrow Rama.
  • I wonder what happens to Manthara in the end?  She wasn't killed by the other brothers, but will she eventually get her due?
  • I am very curious about how good of a ruler Bharata was.  He obviously never forgot that Rama was supposed to rule not him, but was he a good ruler too?  Maybe he would have been even better than Rama.
  • Rama kind of brought Shurpanakha's wrath down on himself.  Although if he had outright rejected her, the same thing probably would have happened too.  I really want a point of view from her though as the sad rejected girl.  She kind of reminds me of those demons or witches who swear revenge on men who spurn them.
  • The golden deer reminds me of Artemis's hart from Greek mythology!  Completely different story though but it's funny that two very different cultures have a golden deer playing large roles in their folklore.
  • Poor Jatayu.  Often in American or western folklore, vultures are represented as evil harbingers of death and doom, but in this story he is seen as a noble and heroic figure, something I found very interesting.
  • Kabandha is definitely one of the coolest demons I've seen.  He just looks so funny!  I think it's weird that we see so little of his story.  He was turned into a rakshasa but why?  What did he do to deserve that punishment?
  • Shabari also interests me a lot.  Why did she have to stay behind the whole time?  Just to prove her devotion?
Kabandha.  Web Source.
Bibliography:  Public Domain Ramayana.  Web Source.

No comments:

Post a Comment