Monday, September 12, 2016

Extra Credit Reading Notes: Sita


  • She called Parvati Uma at the beginning.  Is this another accepted name for her?
  • I really love this perspective of Sita so far.  I love how fierce she is!  The way she wants to do her best to rid the world of evil is so heartwarming.  I also love how she takes charge of her marriage and tries to rig it so Rama wins.
  • The story of her birth is also so interesting.  I know she's an avatar of Lakshmi but I didn't realize she was also the daughter of the earth goddess.
  • Rama is so sweet and attentive to Sita.  Reading the Ramayana, you don't really get a sense of what their day to day interactions would be like, so I really appreciate how this graphic novel shows us.
  • Also, I love young Sita's interactions with her sisters!  It reminded me of how I tease my little sister.
  • I forgot that Lakshmana also married one of Sita's sisters and that she did not go with them.  I like how it goes into more detail about how that made her feel.
  • I am also really happy how this graphic novel goes into more detail about Rama forgiving Kaikeyi.  It's kind of just glossed over in the Ramayana but I like how she repents in this version.
  • The illustrations in here are gorgeous as well!  I love seeing how the characters are represented with their beautiful clothes and Rama's characteristic blue skin.
Sita graphic novel cover.  Web Source.
Bibliography:  Sita:  Daughter of the Earth by Saraswati Nagpal.  Reading Guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment