Sunday, September 25, 2016

Reading Notes: Mahabharata Part C


  • I was a little shocked at the part where most of them drank water from the pond and died.  I knew they couldn't actually be dead since the battle still had to be fought but it was really interesting that all of them succumbed to the temptation except for Yudhishthira.  Also I was not expecting that the person who was testing them was actually Yudhishthira's father, so I guess it does make sense that he was the only one who passed.
  • I'm glad that they actually got to enjoy their last year in exile with the boon from Yama.  It was nice that they could do whatever they wanted.  All of them chose such mundane things.  It makes me wonder whether they would have been happier just giving up their kingdom.
  • I find it funny that even when Duryodhana goes to taunt the Pandavas and gets captured, they still rescue him and he still thanks them!  It's funny which courtesies can't be done away with.  It also makes me kind of sad though that they will fight.
  • Their argument over the dice game is sad.  They're both right, kind of, but it's just so small and petty.  Whether they revealed themselves too early, or whether the dice game was legally entered into or not do not seem like terms by which an entire family should be destroyed.
  • The Pandavas keep being built up into the family that is better and that should win.  I want more points of view from Duryodhana and Karna.  Everybody seems to think that Duryodhana is such a terrible person.  The story is still kind of ambivalent though.
  • I find it interesting that Krishna still offers his help to both Duryodhana and Arjuna even though they're on opposite sides.
  • Why can't they all just get along?!
Krishna and the Pandavas.  Web Source.
Bibliography:  R.K. Narayan.  Mahabharata.  Reading Guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment