Monday, September 12, 2016

Reading Notes: Vaishno Devi


  • I liked the girl power in this one so much!  The guys were basically completely useless and it was up to their consorts to save the day.
  • Also why do they keep granting these people boons?  You'd think they'd learn after a while when they keep turning on them.
  • The part where Vaishnavi just blasts the guy who says he's indestructible is the best.  How did that even work?
  • So she was reborn into Trikuta?
  • I don't remember this part of the Ramayana?  He met her while looking for Sita?  And why did he promise to come back for her later if he loves Sita so much?
  • Some googling revealed that Vaishnavi is the feminine form of Vishnu which makes sense why he would name her that because of her devotion to him.  I am now wondering why the three goddesses originally named their heroine Vaishnavi though?  What was the relation to Vishnu there?  Why not the feminine form of one of the other gods?
  • I feel bad for Vaishnavi.  Now she has to wait so long for Vishnu.  I am still confused why he even agreed to marry her though.  What about Sita?
  • Poor Bhairon.  Although his obsessiveness gets really creepy, I still feel kind of bad for him.
  • I really like how her story links up with the geography of the land and explains some of the formations.
  • How did she transform herself into Kali?  Is Kali one of the consorts' forms?
  • It's nice that she forgave him in the end.
  • How long will she have to wait?  When is the Kaliyuga?
  • The map at the end showing the pilgrimage route is so interesting!  Really helps put everything into perspective.
Shrine at Vaishno Devi's temple.  Web Source.
Bibliography:  Vaishno Devi by Aruna Balakrishna Singh and Durgesh Velhal.  Reading Guide.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, an Amar Chitra Katha reading notes post! I wanted to check out your Reading Notes to get some ideas for organizing my own notes, and boom! Another person who loves doing some extra credit reading too! Woo! I just dipped my toe into some Amar Chitra Katah books this week (Mirabai and Kabir, but no Reading Notes posts yet, just drafts), and they're really cool! The top sentence in this post is what drew me in -- girl power! And, exactly! Why do these people keep getting boons granted to them?! Totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I haven't read Mirabai and Kabir! I'll definitely have to check them out and your reading notes too! I really love the Amar Chitra Katha books so much especially since I can visualize the characters and scenery so much easier this way. If you have time, you should definitely check out this one because the protagonist kicks so much butt.

      Delete