Thursday, September 15, 2016

Story: Life after Life

There’s blood in my hair again.
I run the wet, sticky strands through my fingers and flick the droplets on the ground.
And they come at me again, swords raised and howling.
Eyes closed, I swing my sword and it finds its mark, and I can hear the bounce of its head, feel the cool breeze of my sword, and taste the blood on my lips.
This is why my mothers created me, so that I could slice and chop and hack, but most of all kill and kill and kill.
It’s all I know.
I open my eyes and look around at the ruined tangle of bodies, and—
There’s blood in my hair again.

I don’t remember when he appears.  One moment I’m alone like I always am, and then suddenly he’s by my side, his slashes perfectly in time with mine.
One glance and I know he’s a god.
“You fight well,” he says when it’s all over and I say nothing because I know it’s true.
His sword flashes up and I turn it aside on instinct but slow, almost too slow, and he smiles.
“How about a practice duel?” he asks, and in answer I swing my sword at his neck.
He laughs as he jumps back, and the fight is on.
It’s hours before we stop, both too exhausted to even hold our swords up anymore.
“Rematch tomorrow?” he pants.
“Rematch,” I reply hoarsely and I watch him leave.

We duel like this every day and I start to memorize him, his attack patterns, the stubble on his cheeks, the quick spin of his blade, the flecks in his eyes, until I think I could close my eyes for an eternity and still have his image in my mind.
I’ve never met someone like him before, someone who doesn’t care that I wield swords instead of paintbrushes, someone who cracks jokes while blood spews, someone who can make me smile.
I never laughed before I met him.
I start to count the hours, minutes before he arrives.
I dream of him at night and when he comes back, I feel electrified.

One day, he’s different when he visits.  He’s with another man, who looks like him.  Both are distraught, and I feel something icy on my spine.
“Have you seen her?” the other one asks and inwardly, I know, I know.
“Seen who?”
“My wife,” he says, and I can feel something hard inside me shatter into a million tiny drops.
“No, I haven’t.  I don’t see anyone around here.”  Except for you.
He lets out a long breath.  “I see.  She was kidnapped from me, and I’m trying to find her.  I won’t be back for a while.  I’ll see you then though.”
“Y-You’ll be back?”
“Of course.”  He stopped and grabbed my hand.  “Maybe we can talk then.”
When he leaves, I can still feel the imprint of his palm in my skin.

And so I wait and wait and wait.  They don’t come to fight me anymore.  My mothers don’t need me anymore.
So I sit by the place where we dueled, and wait.
Days turn to weeks turn to months turn to years.
But I don’t mind.

I would wait a thousand lifetimes to see his face again.
Waiting.  Web Source.

Bibliography:  "Vaishno Devi:  Goddess of the Hills" by Aruna Balakrishna Singh and Durgesh Velhal.  Reading Guide.

Author's Note:  This story is based on the legend of Vaishno Devi or Vaishnavari, a goddess who was created by Lakshmi, Parvati, and Saraswati, the consorts of Vishnu, Shiva, and Brahma respectively.  She was created to deal with rakshasas terrorizing the land, and eventually was reborn into a girl who fell in love with Vishnu.  He agreed to come back and take her as his wife but she did not recognize him when he came to her in the form of an old man, so he said he would come later when she was ready.  To prove herself, she traveled deep into the mountains and meditated, but another man came by and fell in love with her.  As she had promised herself to Vishnu, she refused the other man, but his desire was too much and she eventually killed him.  She then turned herself into stone to wait for Vishnu to come back for her.  I tried to keep the big similarities, so she references her "mothers" and fights demons in the beginning, but I took out the reincarnation part.  I tried to emphasize her crazy passion for him because she seemed incredibly devoted in the story.

5 comments:

  1. This story is very interesting. At first I didn't recognize the story, but midway I did. The ending was sad however it was identical to that of the original. I was thinking what if he returned after finding his wife dead, and fell in love with the girl. I also like this story because it shows a woman in a dominant act ( sword fighting). The fact that she can keep up with Vishnu is very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you recognized the story! I was a little afraid it would be too different. Yes, the ending of the story made me so sad! She just stays waiting forever. I was also very happy with the girl power at the beginning too because she was the only one who could defeat the demons.

      Delete
  2. Well, that was a bummer. I mean that in a good way though! You had me invested in the characters and how it was going to play out. Then the guy ends up being married, the he disappears, but she still pines for him. She seems so lonely. In creation, in life, and in romance. You did a really good job with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, the original story I based it on was so sad for the girl too. She goes through so many trials but still doesn't get the guy. Even in the original, she's alone her whole life too.

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of this story so I was very confused in the beginning and kept trying to figure out who it was about or what was even going on. I really liked it though because it kept me hooked till the end because of the mystery. Not all stories have a happy ending and your story did just that so it was nice to see something realistic for once.

    ReplyDelete