Monday, September 19, 2016

Reading Notes: Narayan's Mahabharata Part A


  • The Kindle edition introduction was actually really interesting!  I really enjoyed reading about how many different versions of the Mahabharata there were and how other translators attempted to relay the story.
  • I skipped the character guide at first but soon realized that was a mistake.  There are so many characters and this is coming from someone who reads Game of Thrones with ease.  I'm already getting mixed up with all of the different cousins and brothers and nephews.
  • I love the story of Satyarati.  So weird but interesting.  The whole fish mother and fish odor thing was so funny.
  • What happened with Vyasa and the two wives was really interesting.  Very unfortunate that that was the case.  Even though the king tried to make sure he would still have an heir, fate still made him lose all of them.
  • I can already see the set up for the giant battle later.  It's so tragic.  I wish someone could have just said to them to stop fighting but I suppose it's hard to forget grudges when they build up so slowly over time.  And both sides are right too, in my opinion.  Maybe Duryodhana escalated things a little too quickly but still.
  • Draupadi's story is very interesting haha.  I like the way Narayan tries vainly to explain her status in the context of the values of the time.
Draupadi's swayamwara.  Web Source.
Bibliography:  R.K. Narayan.  Mahabharata.  Reading Guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment