Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Reading Notes: PDE Ramayana Part C


  • The story about Sugriva and Vali was very saddening.  You can't really blame either of them for doing what they did and yet one of them had to die for it.  I really wish Rama had been able to help them get along rather than having to kill Vali.
  • Sampati's story reminds me of Icarus in Greek mythology.  Both flew too close to the sun and had their wings burnt, although Icarus actually died and Sampati was merely wounded.  They also both had another person with them that survived (Jatayu for Sampati and Daedalus for Icarus).
  • I really like Hanuman so far.  He is so helpful and brave and almost never shies away from what Rama needs him to do.
  • I don't understand why Sita didn't just go with Hanuman when he offered?  It said that she was too modest to have another man touch her, but at this point I feel like Rama shouldn't have cared that much.
  • I feel kind of bad for all the people in Lanka who had their city destroyed.  Are they all rakshasas?
  • I am intrigued by Vibhishana, the virtuous brother of Ravana.  Is he a rakshasa?  Why is he good when his siblings aren't?
Hanuman's leap.  Web Source.
Bibliography:  Public Domain Ramayana.  Web Source.

No comments:

Post a Comment