Monday, September 19, 2016

Feedback Focus

It was very fun trying out all of the different feedback techniques because I haven't really tried out anything like that before.  All of the techniques were very interesting and got me to re-evaluate how I approach giving feedback.  That being said, there were some things I didn't like about some of them.  My least favorite one was probably using the 10 minute timer.  I read much too fast for that to be helpful for me.  I finished reading the story twice and still had approximately 6 minutes left.  Then I read the comments and re-read the story for sentence structure and word choice.  I still had 2 minutes left after that that I didn't really know what to do with.  It was nice having such a large amount of time to really focus on the story itself but by then I wanted to get more into thinking about comments and just evaluating it and providing feedback rather than having to continue reading it.  I think that technique would be better for longer or more complicated writings.
My favorite technique was probably the copy-paste one, not least because I used Written?Kitten haha.  Overall, I did really like using this one so I could see my thought process throughout the entire story rather than just at the end.  However, many of my comments became more about trying to predict what would happen next or informal remarks about the characters' actions, although that might have been because I picked a particularly humorous fairy tale.
The reading out loud technique really helped me pay more attention to the rhythm and cadence of the story, something I do not try to focus on a lot when I write.  I think it would be fun for short stories like the fairy tales but not a good feedback strategy for longer works because I do not really want to spend half an hour reading a story out loud.
It was very fun trying out these different feedback techniques!  I might have to start incorporating the copy-paste technique in future feedback giving.
Dog and cat as enemies.  Web Source.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that reading out loud is an excellent way to focus. I too tend to ignore the way in which I write as I am solely focused simply completing the task. Like many, I tend to write like the way I talk which can lead to many grammatical errors. By reading out load slowly, I am able to catch the mistakes that I could not when I was reading in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it definitely helps for getting the flow and grammatical errors out of the way!

      Delete